Friday, December 11, 2009

Brrr Chilll!!!


Three brave chickens came out of the coop today. The rest remained inside-they don't like the cold and wind any more than we do! The coop is insulated; however, it is not heated. After researching the care of chickens- I took heed of the warning not to heat the coop. If the coop was heated the birds would not have acclimated to the cold, therefore if we experienced a power outage the entire flock could perish during the outage. The birds I keep, Barred Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshires, Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps are all winter hardy. I may have to protect their feet and combs from frostbite- using a gel such as that used on cow udders. It's no wonder I felt right at home wearing an oversized flannel shirt today! I am turning into a farmgirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment