Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Downsizing Chickens

13-4=9 That's the equation. That is the new size of my flock as of this morning.
Yesterday my neighbor Bea called and inquired whether or not I was willing to sell a few birds to her cousin. Jay and I have been considering downsizing the flock for a while now. The girls are so much bigger and winter is fast approaching. As the weather turns colder, I know that thirteen birds cooped up is too many.
Bea's cousin Ruth, who used to babysit for us when she lived across the street, came over with her husband. My girls dutifully followed me to the coop when they arrived. I spent some time deciding which girls I would be willing to adopt out- I wouldn't think of parting with Cher, Mabeline or Lizzy (Elizabeth Cady Stanton). Having four Rhode Island Reds I parted with two- Henny and Penny. I kept Jenny and Yolanda (I think!) Itsy Bitsy also has a new home (she is a New Hampshire). I kept her sisters Susan B. Anthony and Ditzy (who is not a rooster after all!) Lastly, Mariah, one of three Plymouth Rocks, couldn't handle to be separated from Itsy Bitsy or Penny so she jumped up onto the crate that was to transport them to their new chicken condo. I was relieved Mariah made the move because I know she is with those she pals around with and she will be happy.
All this happened so fast- but I know the birds will be happier and healthier as they have more room in the coop and I will spend less money on feed and such. I am also looking forward to a cleaner coop- which has been my obsession these last few months~!

No comments:

Post a Comment